Sunday, November 8, 2009

BP7_2009112_DIIGO

As I was researching social bookmarking, I came across several references to Diigo (http://www.diigo.com). I decided that I definitely wanted to find out more about this Web 2.0 tool.
I like using Delicious, but it seems that Diigo may have even more to offer.

One of the aspects of Diigo that appeals to me is the ability to highlight portions of the web page that I bookmark. Sometimes I am reading through something, find something really interesting, bookmark it, and then when I come back, I have no idea why I bookmarked it in the first place. The ability to highlight portions of the page or to attach sticky notes to specific parts of web pages will solve that problem. Even more importantly, these highlights and sticky notes are persistent so whenever I go back to that page I will see them. Not only can I see my thoughts on Diigo, but I can also share these with others. I can easily collaborate on research with my colleagues while getting their thoughts and feedback as well.

Plus, if I have a topic that I want more information on, I can search Diigo to find out what other's have tagged. Not only will I get the site, I will also gain insights by seeing who else has bookmarked it as well as other similar pages and sites that they have bookmarked.

Diigo also allows you to find people like me--those people who share your same interests. Once you find them, you can connect in lots of ways: invite them to add you as a friend, send messages, invite them to a group, or add them to your watchlist. These similar people may be able to point you in the direction of some great resources that you just have not discovered yet. I also know that when I get on a roll of finding new information, I often do not have time to fully explore it right then. Diigo also has a handy Read-later feature just for times like that.

I can see some great advantages to using this tool for organizing not only my websites but also my thoughts.


No comments:

Post a Comment