Sunday, November 8, 2009

BP9_2009112_busuu

I enjoy learning languages, but I can never seem to find the time to enroll in an actual class. Before I taught in Memphis, I had students who spoke languages other than English. Now, though all I have is native English speakers. As of this year, my class has been the inclusion classroom for the multi-handicapped class next door. One of the students is a native Spanish speaker. The other teacher and I have been working on ways for the students to communicate, including teaching my class Spanish. I haven't had a formal Spanish class since college, and I am very rusty so I was excited to see this Web 2.0 tool that teaches different languages, Busuu.com.

You learn directly from native speakers around the world. The site also has free interactive learning materials, which are currently available in English, German, French, Italian, and Spanish. You have two options for your account: 1)Free or 2)Premium. The free account includes a picture based vocabulary, writing exercises, reading comprehension exercises, video chats, and interactive exams. The Premium account right now costs about $45 for a 3 month membership. The prices are given in Euros, but luckily, there is a personal currency assistant for you to use to change it into dollars. The premium account also lets you hear audio for more than 3,000 key phrases, listening comprehension exercises, printable pdf's for more than 150 units, access to more than 35 grammar units, audio podcasts for more than 150 units, video units, and no advertisement is shown.

Since I never know how much free time I will have, I am going to begin with a free account, but the pricing seems to be less than a continuing education classes that last about 3 months. The format seems pleasing and easily usable. I think that I can use this website to improve my Spanish. It seems like it would be a viable option for anyone wishing to improve their knowledge of a language.

No comments:

Post a Comment